Welcome to this month’s Blogorail Green Loop. Today we are taking a closer look at the fun you can find in Future World at Epcot. We’ll be checking out Innoventions, which is a part of Future World where you can find interactive experiences and Disney characters, and the Festival Center, where you can see seminars, shop, and more during Epcot’s festivals.
Innoventions opened in 1994 in an area of Epcot that was called Communicore. It is located in the center of Future World and is divided into two sections, east and west, but most of Innoventions West is no longer open. All that remains is the Exclusive Character Meet-and-Greet for Disney Chase Visa cardholders.
But at Innoventions East you can visit:
- StormStruck® Presented by the Federal Alliance for Safe Homes (FLASH®) – Get caught in the midst of a perfect storm before testing your knowledge on how to protect your home and family in the event of severe weather. Kids can enjoy building a storm safety kit, and everyone will have the chance to send a postcard home from the “Weather Safe” kiosks.
- The Sum of All Thrills™ Presented by Raytheon – Use your math, science and engineering know-how to design your very own thrill ride. How mild or wild is up to you! Determine height and velocity on an interactive touch screen while adding features like hill climbs, dive rolls and corkscrews. Then, hop aboard a 4D robotic simulator to experience the ride you’ve just created—complete with the realism of high-definition video, audio and motion.
- Colortopia Presented by Glidden – Experience the wonderful world of color! Explore 3 interactive zones—the Color Lab, Color Our World Studio and Power of Color Theater—for a fun, informative take on the numerous ways color affects our lives. From creating custom hues and digital painting to understanding how different shades can impact moods, you’ll learn how every color tells a story. Download the free Colortopia app to take your masterpiece home, colorize photos and play with various palettes at your fingertips!
Epcot Character Spot
The Epcot Character Spot is one our favorite character meet and greet locations. All of the meet and greets are inside so it’s a great spot to get out or the heat or rain. You can meet:
- Mickey and Friends – This meet and greet offers Fastpass+. You can also visit early in the morning or later in the day to avoid long wait times. You’ll be able to meet Mickey Mouse, Minnie Mouse, and Goofy.
- Joy and Sadness – We haven’t been able to see them yet but we can’t wait to meet Joy and Sadness from Inside Out.
- Baymax – We met Baymax when he was over at Hollywood Stuidos but he has a new home in Epcot that looks like Hiro’s workshop from Big Hero 6.
The Festival Center is located in what used to be the Wonders of Life Pavilion (you can find out more about the history here and take a tour here.) The pavilion is now only used during the Flower & Garden Festival and the Food & Wine Festival. I think some people miss it because it’s not on the main path but it’s definitely a place you need to explore.
Seminars and other events are also held at the Festival Center during the Food & Wine Festival. While there are some pricey experiences most of the seminars are around $15 a person. We did too beverage seminars a couple of years ago and they are well worth the price of admission. We learned a lot and were able to try four drinks a piece. They aren’t huge so don’t worry about drinking too much. 🙂 Reservations open up on July 21, 2016 so book early to make sure you get the seminars you are most interested in.
More offerings at the Festival Center include:
- Festival Stage hosted by ABC-TV’s The CHEW – This one you can enjoy from home too! Tune in throughout the day to watch ABC’s Emmy Award® winning series, The CHEW, a daily talk show featuring the latest dish on everything food. Watch episodes and segments filled with mouthwatering recipes, trends and tips on entertaining. Plus, get a list of “CHEW-approved” Festival favorites from locations throughout World Showcase.
- Remy’s Ratatouille Hide & Squeak – Kids of all ages can search for Remy on a savory scavenger hunt around World Showcase. Simply purchase your map and stickers from select Festival merchandise locations—including the Festival Center, Pin Central, Port of Entry or World Traveler at the International Gateway.
- Back to Basics – Discover delish tips and tricks that’ll have a profound effect on your next meal—from the food industry’s top culinary pros! With insights on techniques, products and easy-to-follow fixes, your epicurean expertise is sure to soar! Back To Basics sessions are held at the Festival Center Spotlight Stage, Fridays through Sundays, at 1:15 PM and 3:15 PM.
- The Chocolate Experience: From Bean to Bar – Hosted by Ghirardelli® Chocolate Company – Sample this delicious confection, purchase gourmet drinking chocolate or shop for your favorite Ghirardelli treats. Guests can also learn about cocoa bean processing as well as enjoy amazing chocolate sculptures created by the master chefs at Walt Disney World Resort.
- Book Signings and Meet & Greets – Meet celebrated authors and other food- and wine-industry personalities at one of their special Festival appearances. Bring purchased books or other merchandise along for a personalized inscription or autograph.
- Bottle Signings – World-class vintners and industry professionals will be on hand to autograph purchased bottles for a fabulous souvenir.
- Seasons of the Vine – Get a behind-the-vines look at the process that transforms delicate grapes into the “nectar of the gods”—step by heavenly step. This 7-minute film runs continuously throughout each day of the Festival and is a must-see for wine aficionados!
- Stockpot Shop – Commemorate your visit with a poster and cookbook or browse our top-notch kitchenware to continue the culinary magic at home!
- Wine Shop – Connoisseurs can choose from an incredible selection of wines, beer and spirits from prestigious makers featured throughout the Festival.
- Intermissions Café – Recharge and relax with mouthwatering menu options. From wine and cheese to salads, sandwiches and more, there’s something to satisfy every appetite.
- Garden Information Desk – Ask questions of Master Gardeners from the Institute of Food and Agricultural Science (IFAS) at the University of Florida.
- Garden Theater – Watch a film about how the festival comes together.
- Horticulture Heritage – See how horticulture has played a role in creating Walt’s vision
- Greenhouse Stage – Gardening specialists will share their expertise
- Fresh Epcot Stage – Demonstrations from experts
- Spotlight Stage – Planting tips from the Institute of Food and Agricultural Science (IFAS) at the University of Florida.
- Festival Stage – A variety of horticulture topics
- Intermissions Cafe – stop by for a selection of wine, cheese, wraps and salads
- Festival Center Shop – Flower & Garden Festival-themed merchandise and more.
check out the other great posts from the Blogorail!
Here is the map of our Magical Blogorail Green | Discover Future World Loop:
- 1st Stop – My Dreams of Disney | Rediscovering the Imagination Pavilion
- 2nd Stop – Magical Memories with the Mouse | Go Under the Sea Figuratively (or Literally!) at Epcot’s The Seas with Nemo & Friends
- 3rd Stop – Heidi’s Head | Everything You Need to Know about The Land
- 4th Stop – Superheroes and Teacups | Spaceship Earth: The Heart of Epcot
- 5th Stop – Frontierland Station | Discover Future World: Test Track
- 6th Stop – Disney Nouns | Universe of Energy
- 7th Stop – The Delightful Life | Discover the Music of Future World
- 8th Stop – My Dreams of Disney | A Child’s Innocence on Mission SPACE
- 9th Stop – Rolling with the Magic | Innoventions & Festival Center – You are here!